1. The man jumped into the river quickly and the main reason was ____ his drowning son.
A. to save
D. to saving
2. —What do you think of the talent show you saw yesterday?
—Oh! It’s one of ____ talent shows I’ve ever seen.
A. interesting B. more interesting
C. most interesting D. the most interesting
3. Bill jumped ____ than any other player at the sports meeting.
A. tall B. taller C. high D. higher
4. —Some of the animals ____ the pollution.
—Right. The government will find ways to solve the problem.
A. die to B. die in C. die of D. die from
5. Traveling by train is ____ exciting than a rushed trip by air.
A. much B. a little C. much more D. little
6. The police tried to protect the foreign officers ____ personal injury.
A. to B. at C. from D. in
7. There were many young children ____ in the factories in the past.
A. work B. working C. works D. to work
8. The teacher thinks ____ chores ____ necessary for every student.
A. do; are B. doing; is C. does; are D. to do; is
9. ____ is the population of China today?
A. How much B. How many C. What D. Which
10. Lanzhou is the only capital city that the Yellow River, the second ____ river in China, passes through.
A. long B. longest C. longer D. length
A thousand years ago, Hong Kong was covered by a thick forest. As more and more people came to live in Hong Kong, these trees were cut down and burnt. Now there is 11 forest left, though there are still some small areas(地方)covered with trees. We call these woods.
Elephants, tigers and many 12 animals were living in the thick forest. When people came to live in Hong Kong, the 13 began to die out. Early farmers grew rice and 14 pigs and chickens in the valleys. They cut down the trees and burnt them. They needed 15 to keep themselves warm in winter, to cook their food and to keep away the dangerous animals. Elephants quickly disappeared because there was not enough food for them. 16 did most of the wolves and tigers. Monkeys and many other animals soon 17 in the same way.
You might think that there are no longer any animals in Hong Kong 18 in the zoos. There are still about 36 different animals 19 there. One of the most interesting animals of Hong Kong is the barking deer. These are beautiful little animals with a rich brown coat and a white patch(斑点)under the tail. They look like deer but they are much like a barking dog. In Hong Kong the barking deer has only a real enemy— 20 . People hunt these little animals though it is illegal(违法的). There are now not many barking deer left. So it is important for people to care for wild animals.
11. A. many B. a few C. no D. not
12. A. other B. others C. the other D. another
13. A. people B. animals C. plants D. things
14. A. grew B. made C. got D. kept
15. A. fire B. hotness C. heat D. stoves(炉子)
16. A. So B. Such C. As D. Nor
17. A. lived B. died C. came D. left
18. A. besides B. except C. and D. or
19. A. live B. to live C. lived D. living
20. A. tigers B. men C. wolves D. elephants
Rock climbing(攀岩)did not become a sport until late in the 1900s. But now it has become a popular outdoor activity. While rock climbing may still be necessary for mountain climbing, most people just climb low mountains for fun.
If you have ever done rock climbing, you will know that it is not a very easy sport. Indoor and outdoor rock climbing both need practice. What most people don’t know is that rock climbing is one of the sports that depend on your body and mind(意志).
To climb successfully, one must use wonderful skills. One of the important rules is to always have three parts of your body on the rock face. Another important rule is that your arms only hold you close to the rock face while your legs are pushing you up, the closer you are to the rock face, the easier it is to climb.
Rock climbing is a wonderful sport. Once you start to learn how to climb, you’ll find more fun. People who like games such as chess playing or problem-solving may love rock climbing, because they are nearly the same in the way of thinking. For anyone who wants to get into beautiful shape, rock climbing is a fun and good way. Anyone who enjoys a difficult game and loves the outdoors should think of taking rock climbing as a new hobby.
21. When did rock climbing become a sport?
A. In 1900. B. Early in the 1900s.
C. In the middle of the 1900s. D. Late in the 1900s.
22. The chess players may like rock climbing because ____.
A. they’d like to get into beautiful shape
B. it is more interesting than chess playing
C. it is like chess playing in the way of thinking
D. they really like to do sports
23. Who should think of taking rock climbing as a new hobby?
A. People who enjoy indoor activities.
B. People who enjoy music.
C. People who enjoy a difficult game and love the outdoors.
D. People who love dancing.
24. What does rock climbing depend on?
A. It depends on your brain.
B. It depends on your hobby.
C. It depends on your interests.
D. It depends on your body and mind.
25. What can we learn from the passage?
A. Rock climbing is a kind of indoor and outdoor activity.
B. Rock climbing is a very easy sport.
C. When you climb, your arms push you up.
D. The closer you are to the rock face, the more difficult it is to climb.
26. Russia has the biggest ____ (人口)in Europe.
27. I’ll go there according to the weather________(条件;状况)
28. Each student should learn to ____ (保护)the wild animals.
29. She was very anxious to get away from cities and back to ____ (自然).
30. The ____ (政府)is making laws against water pollution.
31. The animals in the zoo are usually ____ (wake)at night.
32. His grandma went to hospital and her ____ (ill)is so serious.
33. Although Lucy tried her best to lose weight, she didn’t ____ (success).
34. Pandas eat so many ____ (bamboo)every day.
35. A wolf is much ____ (wild)than a dog.
An elephant weighs more than________ _______ _______heavier than an adult person.
We should never________ _______ in the________ _______ difficulties.
Tom is always the first________ _______, and the last________ _______every day.
Fish________ _______oxygen through their gills.
________ _______, most babies weigh between 6 and 8 pounds.
1. A 考查固定句式。“The main reason is/was to do sth.”意为“主要原因是……”。
2. D 考查形容词的高级。由句意“——你认为昨天你看的才艺表演怎么样? ——噢!它是我看过的有趣的才艺表演之一。”可知要用高级，interesting的高级形式是most interesting，且形容词高级前要加定冠词the。故选D。
3. D 考查副词的比较级。指相对高度用high，后面有than，所以选D。
4. D 考查短语用法辨析。若死因存在于人体(主要指疾病、衰老等自身的原因)，一般用介词of;若死因不是存在于人体，而是由环境造成的(主要指事故等方面的外部原因)，一般用介词from。故选D。
5. C 考查形容词的比较级。后面有than，所以用比较级，much修饰形容词的比较级。
6. C 考查固定搭配。protect...from...意为“保护……免受/免遭……”。
7. B 考查固定句式。“there be sb. doing sth.”意为“有某人在做某事”。故选B。
8. B 考查动名词短语作主语的用法。doing chores是动名词短语作主语，谓语动词用单数is。故选B。
9. C 考查疑问词辨析。What’s the population of...?“……的人口是……?”
10. B 考查形容词的高级。long为形容词的原形，longest是形容词的高级。longer是形容词的比较级。length是名词“长度”。the+序数词+形容词的高级，意思是“第几……”。本句意思是：兰州是中国第二长河——黄河唯一穿过的省会城市。所以选择答案B。
11. C 考查语境理解。根据下面一句话得知没有森林遗留下来。
12. A 考查词义辨析。many other animals表示其余的许多种动物。
13. B 考查语境理解。由于人多了，动物就变少了。
14. D 考查词义辨析。keep在这里表示“饲养”。
15. A 考查语境理解。根据后面的取暖、做饭、驱赶危险动物，可见这里他们需要的是火。
16. A 考查固定句式。“so+助动词+主语”表示“某人(某物)也这样”，这里表示大多数狼和老虎也以同样的方式消失了。
17. B 考查语境理解。由上句可知猴子和许多其他的动物很快以同样的方式消失死亡。
18. B 考查词义辨析。besides表示“除了……还有……”，而except“除……之外”。故选except，表示也许你会认为在香港，除了动物园其他地方就没有动物了。
19. D 考查固定句式。There be sb. /sth. + doing表示有从事某种活动的人/物。
20. B 考查语境理解。根据整篇文章的观点得知人类才是动物真正的敌人。
21. D 事实细节题。从文章第一句Rock climbing did not become a sport until late in the 1900s.可知直到20世纪末攀岩才变成了一项运动，故选D。
22. C 事实细节题。从文中第四段第三句...because they are nearly the same in the way of thinking.可知喜欢下象棋的人们喜欢攀岩的原因是由于他们思考问题的方式是一样的，故选C。
23. C 事实细节题。根据文中后一句Anyone who enjoys a difficult game and loves the outdoors should think of taking rock climbing as a new hobby.可知喜欢有难度的游戏和爱好户外运动的人应该考虑选择攀岩作为一种新的爱好。故选C。
24. D 事实细节题。根据文中第二段后一句What most people don’t know is that rock climbing is one of the sports that depend on your body and mind.可知攀岩依靠的是人的体力及意志。故选D。
25. A 主旨大意题。根据文章第二段第二句Indoor and outdoor rock climbing both need practice.可知，攀岩既是一项室内运动也是一项室外运动。故选A。
26. population 27. condition 28. protect 29. nature 30. government
31. awake 32. illness 33. succeed 34. bamboos 35. wilder
36. one hundred times 37. give up; face of 38. to come; to leave
39. take in 40. At birth
Ladies and gentlemen,
Welcome to Beijing，now let me introduce Beijing to you.
Beijing is a city with a long history. It is in the north of China. It has a population of about 13,240,000.
There are many places of interest in Beijing, such as the Summer Palace and so on. The Great Wall is a beautiful place. There is a saying that he who has never been to the Great Wall is not a true man. The water in Miyun Reservoir is clean and not polluted. There are all kinds of fish in it. You can go boating, go fishing and have a picnic there. It is really a good place to spend your holiday. Besides, you can go and visit Beijing Museum. There you can see a lot of dinosaur egg fossils.
I hope you can enjoy yourselves in Beijing.